Week 6: Topic 1


  • Where do you get your local news? Newspapers? Friends? Facebook? Word of mouth? Explain, citing your sources of news. How important is local news to your daily life? How do you know the news you are using is accurate and credible?
Most of my local news now comes from Facebook. During the school year I do read our local newspaper each week but usually anything that is "exciting" has already made it's way onto Facebook and by the time the weekly paper is printed I just read it for facts. Because I live in a small town and actually know the people who report and own our local newspaper I rely on it to give me the facts. Facebook usually has parts of the story but doesn't always have all the facts so if it is something that I want to check I go to the New Era and read the facts there a few days later.  I live in a smaller town so the local news is important to me as I know a lot of the people who make up our community and we are a pretty tight knit community who watches out for each other. 

  • Many publications, both local and national, now have paywalls/online subscriptions to support their business and reporting operations. Do you subscribe to any online news sources? How much do you pay? Why is it worth it to you? Or discuss why you aren’t willing to pay.
I do get my local papers' online version but it comes with our annual paid print subscription. I also often view the online version of the town I grew up in. You can usually read 5 or more articles without subscribing which is normally enough for me. I don't think I would ever subscribe to an online version only however because I can get most of the local stories on Facebook and the stories from my "hometown" also on Facebook because I am friends with people who still live there. 

  • On a scale of 1 to 5 (5 being “most informed”), how confident are you that you are well informed about current events (e.g. pending legislation, actions by your elected representatives, general community information, new movies, sports) and what’s going on in your community and society? How important is it to you to be well informed? Cite some examples.
I have to admit that I am probably only at a 1 to 1.5 on this scale. I don't pay much attention to what is happening in the "outside" world. I am pretty involved in the local stuff but have never been big on politics or what is going on in the world as a whole. I suppose during the school year, when I am around people who are a lot more in tuned to that stuff I might be as high as a 2.5 but unless it has something to do with my day to day life I don't pay a whole lot of attention. I try to watch the news at least for a few minutes every morning but only really pay attention when I hear something that catches my attention. I do like to know what is going on in my community, I watch the local high school sports and volunteer for different things around town but as far as the outside world I really don't pay much attention. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 9: Topic 2

Week 9: Topic 1

Week 2: Topic 1